alt.religion.your.operating.system.sucks

Spif c642011 at cclabs.missouri.edu
Sun Jan 29 23:56:12 PST 1995

On Sun, 29 Jan 1995, Dale Harrison wrote:

> >This may be the case, but there is certainly a growing market for
> >internet-capable systems, and the most internet-friendly OS around is,
> >of course, UNIX.
>
> OS/2 comes internet-ready and pre-installed and it's still an almost
> complete failure in the market.

that depends on what you think of as "internet-ready", IMHO.  OS/2 is
ready to fail in an endeavour to be what UNIX has been for over 25
years:  a _truly_ internet-friendly, multitasking, multithreading OS.

> >In that fact, and in the growing importance of having an OS that
> >utilizes the full capabilities of increasing powerful personal
> >computers, lies the future of UNIX.
>
> In any mature market, technical superiority above some baseline level of
> sufficiency has no market value.  The auto market is a classic example
> of this. Look how long tail-fins and chrome have dominated technical
> superiority as the prime focus of marketing.  These are all marketing
> issues not technical issues!

really?  I would think over a decade of Japanese technical superiority in
automaking (better gas mileage, better safety features, etc.) and the
resultant move by the "Big 3" to be even more technically superior would
tend to contradict that notion.  Consumers are not totally stupid - they
may drool over and rave about the latest flashy, technically inferior
car, but when it comes down to it they'll most often buy the one with the
best gas mileage, the best safety features, and so forth.

    Bryan Venable               | c642011 at cclabs.missouri.edu
    Student & MOO Administrator | wlspif at showme.missouri.edu
    U of Missouri - Columbia    | spif at pobox.com
    SGI/Netscape/MOO addict     | spif at m-net.arbornet.org
    Spif or Turmandir @ MOOs    | http://www.phlab.missouri.edu/~c642011

             <insert standard university disclaimer here>