alt.religion.your.operating.system.sucks

Dale Harrison AEGIS daleh at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 29 20:28:53 PST 1995

You wrote:

>The only real barrier left to UNIX becoming the OS of choice is
>commercial app support (things like word processors and etc. becoming
>readily available and inexpensive).

I don't mean to toss gasoline onto this fire, but......

Unix as we know has a vanishingly small probability of ever becoming
'mainstream'. There's a two-orders-of-magnitude gap between the installed
base of Dos/Windows and that of Unix. That gap has grown, not marrowed
over time. This is however no reflection on the obvious technical merits
of Unix. Market dominance is based not on technical superiority, but
rather on technical sufficiency. Once an OS acheives technical
sufficiency any further technical improvements will have a diminishing
marginal effect on that OS's market performance. Once the OS is
technically sufficient, non-technical factors begin to dominate. The
market failure of WinNT is a classic example of this. Its failure is
unrelated to its technical merits (or lack thereof), but rather on
econmic and social factors the even a company withe the marketing muscle
of MicroSoft has not yet been able to overcome. (OS/2 is of course an
example of an even more dismal, perhaps terminal, failure for many of the
same reasons.)

Dale H.