Traffic monitoring (Was: Reordering, not Latency)

Harry S. Hawk habs at warwick.com
Fri Jan 27 10:37:10 PST 1995

> How would you get access to the trunks?  Aren't they mostly optic
> fibers now?  Also, since Internet traffic is growing at a geometric
> rate, the probability of anyone or any organization having the

I can't speak to the current system per se, but slowly things are
moving to SONET. A key feature of SONET is that indivual channel
like DS-0, OR DS-1 CAN BE BROKEN out without "de muxing" the
entire data stream.

Basically they have in the "system" a pointer to the memory location
of each channel and they can just full that frame out.

This is important for a reason I have spoken here before about..

Law Enforcement loves to talk about how digtial tech will make things
harder to "tap." When in fact technology like SONET will make it
easier. (today to tap into a DS-3 trunk, looking for a DS-0 channel,
you need to de-mux and pull out all the DS-1 channels, find the DS-1
that contains the DS-0 you want, and then de-mux that to get into and
Tap the DS-0.)