Even more unix holy war. Was "Clinton freezes U.S. assets .."

Perry E. Metzger perry at imsi.com
Fri Jan 27 08:03:27 PST 1995

jamesd at com.informix.com says:
> And another vast advantage of DOS Windows is that it is
> a vastly better environment for developing software than unix.
>
> The great strength is of course symbolic debugging -- you can
> single step your compiled code, and see it displayed symbolicly,
> with the symbols and statements of your source code, whilst
> unix programmers are usually reduced to picking through core
> dumps like grave robbers.

Strange -- I've had symbolic debuggers and execution environments on
Unix since I started using it in the early 1980s. I guess I've just
been hallucinating. Or perhaps James is.

> You can run your program under the debugger and set it so that
> when an exception condition occurs, bingo you are in the debugger
> at the line where the exception occurred, and all the variables
> as they were when the exception occurred, and the rest of windows,
> the graphical user interface, has been frozen until you examine
> the situation to your satisfaction.
>
> Try that in Unix.

I've been doing it all morning, but then again, I'm just on drugs.

> You might be able to do a crude and limited equivalent with
> a text mode program, but with a GUI program you are hosed.

Actually, I've been doing it on a large GUI application.

> This is the basic reason why unix software sucks -- because the
> tools for writing it suck.

Fascinating.

> And windows has the *.rc file system for internationalization.

I guess that the Posix internationalization system is another
hallucination of mine.

James, you are an ignoramous.

Perry