Even more unix holy war. Was "Clinton freezes U.S. assets .."

Michael P. Brininstool mikepb at freke.lerctr.org
Thu Jan 26 23:31:22 PST 1995

In article <9501270500.AA00284 at carbon.informix.com> jamesd at com.informix.com () writes:
>I make myself root, and enter my root password.  I type sync
>three times, and then type reboot. And lo, unix reboots.
>
>Eventually, at long, long, long, long, long, last, Unix
>deigns to come back and give me some windows.
>
>bad sucker -- that will teach me -- maybe next time I will type
>six sync commands before rebooting as a sacrifice to the great
>God unix in the vain hope that it will spare my data.

May I ask why you even bother re-booting?  I never re-boot my machine
unless there is a problem.  I can go for MONTHS without re-booting.  I
have never used a DOS/Windows machine that could go more than a few
days without having to be re-booted.

My machine, if gracefully shutdown, boots in about 2 minutes.  DOS, I
think, would take about 30 seconds.  About 25 seconds of both of those
is POST (Power On Self-Test).

| #include "std/disclaimer.h"     Michael P. Brininstool |
| mikepb at freke.lerctr.org      OR      mikepb at netcom.com |