The Remailer Crisis

Christopher E Stefan flatline at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 26 15:41:39 PST 1995

On Tue, 24 Jan 1995, Eric Hughes wrote:

>    From: root <root at einstein.ssz.com>
>
>    Exactly how does this work at your location Eric? Here in Southwestern Bell
>    we don't use the D except for call initiation and termination. There is no
>    useage tarriff other than this.
>
> The standard residential tariff here in Pac Bell is flat rate duing
> non-business hours and per-minute during them.

Most LEC's charge per-minute for ISDN.  Pac Bell and SWBT are some of the
few exceptions.  What's even worse is in some states there isn't even a
residential ISDN tariff, hence all ISDN lines are "business" lines and
billed accordingly.  The only real solution is to demand dial the
connection from both ends.  This is fairly straightforward assuming your
provider is set up for it, since there is a lot of ISDN equipment that
will brfing the connection up only when there are packets to send then
idle it out.

An economical alternative in some areas is frame-relay.  In Washington
state USwest wants ~$70/month for a 56k FR link to anywhere in your
LATA.  The providers around here charge $100-$150 to link a single
machine to the net via FR, and $150-$350 if you are routing a whole
subnet.

--
Christopher E Stefan  *  flatline at u.washington.edu  *  PGP 2.6ui key by request