FrameMaker, LaTeX, Mac, PC, UNIX, ...

Michael Sattler msattler at jungle.com
Wed Jan 25 22:06:06 PST 1995

At 21:13 1/25/95, Timothy C. May wrote:

>...but to say that
>popular applications can be--and have been--ported to Unix. Many of
>you presumably have first-hand knowledge of this, with apps like
>Mathematica, FrameMaker, WordPerfect, etc. on Unix boxes as well as
>PCs and Macs.

I say this only to defend by Pedantics degree, but I believe that
FrameMaker was originally a UNIX product that was horribly ported to the
Macintosh.  (I had the unfortunate experience of using the first Mac
incarnotion; I racked up some pretty good karma... :-)

>This is separate, I think, from the issue of teaching secretaries
>LaTex...that sounds truly evil. (8-))

Did that ;-)  It's amazing how much of office routine can be done with the
simple application of cut-and-paste boilerplate.

Michael Sattler <msattler at jungle.com>       San Francisco, California  |
Digital Jungle Consulting Services     http://www.jungle.com/msattler/ |

And so these men of Indostan/ disputed long and loud/ each in his own  |
opinion/ exceeding stiff and strong/ though each was partly right/ and |
all were in the wrong! - John Godfrey Saxe                             |