Another problem w/Data Havens...

Michael Handler grendel at netaxs.com
Sun Jan 22 20:24:50 PST 1995

On Wed, 18 Jan 1995, Jonathan Cooper wrote:

> > 	I could write a procmail recipe and a script in about an hour to
> > automatically secret-share-split and redistribute the incoming submission.
>
>    I'll wager most of us could.  Question: whom would you redistribute it
> _TO_?  This seems to be the stumbling block - who is willing to store the
> data on their machine or net account?

	Why, other data haven operators, of course.

	[ Insert 500 messages about anonymous payment systems,
FirstVirtual vs DigiCash, remailers, "data haven" guilds, etc. ]

[ ... ]
>    How would you handle retrieval of the data?

	Details, details. Just off the top of my head: an encrypted
database that logs where the pieces were split and sent to. When the
original data haven recieves a request for the file, it sends out
requests to the other data havens, and reassembles the file, and shoots
it out again to the original owner.

Michael
---
Michael Handler                                         <grendel at netaxs.com>
Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics                   Philadelphia, PA
PGP Key ID FC031321  Print: 9B DB 9A B0 1B 0D 56 DA  61 6A 57 AD B2 4C 7B AF
"Toi qui fais au proscrit ce regard calme et haut" -- Baudelaire * Skotoseme