Computerworld Article

Fred C. Moulton moulton at netcom.com
Sat Jan 21 15:50:32 PST 1995

I have recently seen several messages about the article in the
14-Jan-95 issue of The Economist, I do not recall seeing any
mention of a similar, but shorter article in the 16-Jan-95
issue of Computerworld, p.20.

The Computerworld article covers much of the same ground,
however I will quote the last three paragraphs of the story.
Tim May and Cypherpunks are mentioned at the end.

        At one point in 1994, rank-and-file members
    were angrily posting "EFF sellout" notes on the
    Internet.  The reason was the EFF's decision to
    negotiate with sponsors of the fast-moving digital
    wiretapping bill - an anathema to many
    privacy advocates - rather than oppose the bill.
        The legislation, which was strongly backed
    by the Federal Bureau Of Investigation and
    quickly passed, requires telephone companies
    to re-engineer their digital networks to enable
    court-ordered wiretaps.  The EFF agreed not to
    oppose the bill after cutting a deal to include
    some privacy protections and exclude the Internet
    and on-line networks.
        But the Washington maneuvers did not sit
    well with some EFF members.  "I've written
    them off" said Timothy C. May, co-founder of
    the Internet's Cypherpunks discussion group
    encryption.  "They don't represent my interests.
    They're not a member-driven, grassroots organization."