Data Vaults (vs. Data Havens)

Eric Hughes eric at remailer.net
Sat Jan 21 08:45:46 PST 1995

   From: tcmay at netcom.com (Timothy C. May)

   I don't think we ought to call these uses "data havens." Save the term
   "data haven" for those places, in cyberspace or in real space, that
   sell access to Nazi medical experiments, that sell illegal birth
   control information, that buy weapons secrets, and so on.

I fully concur.  The connotations of the word "haven" imply activities
that ordinary people don't see themselves doing.  This means that
ordinary people won't generally use something called a "haven", even
if they might use exactly the same service called something else.

Eric