IRS to keep unreviewable secret dossiers on US citizens

xpat at vm1.spcs.umn.edu xpat at vm1.spcs.umn.edu
Fri Jan 20 12:46:08 PST 1995

perry at imsi.com says:
>xpat at vm1.spcs.umn.edu says:
>> Excerpts from : St Paul Pioneer Press, Jan 29, 1995
>>
>> Here's the kicker: "Although agency officials concede that some of
>> the data collected will be inaccurate, taxpayers will not be allowed
>> to review or correct it"                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>The privacy act and FOIA make that more or less illegal -- if they are
>keeping information on you, with certain law enforcement related
>exceptions they have to let you see it.

I should add that later in the article it suggests the scenario of
select information from the database being used in an audit, and
you would be able to contest the specific information they use
against you, but you would not be able to view any of the raw data.
                     ^^^^^^^^^
It sounds like this amounts to "we don't have the info until we use
it against you".