"Disclosing" private email

Brett Turcotte turcotte at io.com
Fri Jan 20 08:48:00 PST 1995

Arthur Chandler posted to the list:
>   Greetings! I'd like to solicit your/our best thoughts on the following
> message. San Francisco State University is considering a policy of
> "disclosing" private email to outside agencies.  I'm aware that such a
> policy is yet another argument for using crypto; and the last cypherpunks
> meeting gave some encouraging instances of "transparent" encryption
> schemes that are not a hassle or a fear-barrier for newbies.
>   But if you could post or private email me your thoughts about the
> legal/ethical aspects of "disclosure," I'd be much obliged.
>   I've put a few of my own concerns at the end of the enclosed quote.

It is probably a CYA move on the part of the University....if someone
at SFSU is plotting the overthrow of our (or any other) government,
engaging in espionage, child porn, etc. and using their Internet
account, SFSU admin probably wants a way that they don't get held
liable.

However, my view of this is that is sucks.

It would have to...otherwise how would they know if they needed to
disclose it.
>    2) Does this "prior notice" mean "We're going to do it" or "We plan to do
> it, and if you disagree, let's discuss it before we release it"?
>
>From their perspective, prior notice would probably mean they tell
you before they do it.  While I don't have experience specifically
with SFSU, it seems as though large organizations tend to do whatever
they please.
>    3) What constitutes "inappropriate"?

Probably anything that is involved in an active criminal
investigation.

Note that any thing in this message is just my opinion, and most
assurdly could prove to be different when exposed to the real world!!

Brett Turcotte
turcotte at io.com