The Remailer Crisis

Jeff Licquia jalicqui at prairienet.org
Fri Jan 20 08:27:16 PST 1995

James wrote:
>Now this is OK if one wishes to run linux, and have a
>remailer as one hobby in addition to the main use of the
>box, but it is still a bit much to pay for a dedicated
>remailer.
>
>Now I just do not like linux.  Sure it is a great
>operating system but it will not run codewright
>
>(Vi causes mental degeneration.  Even though I detest,
>loath, and hate vi, vi takes up so much brainspace that
>I find myself issueing vi commands in editors that I
>use much more, and vastly prefer to vi.  Vi is evil.)
>
>Therefore there is no way in the world I am going to
>waste a full internet connection and a PC on linux.

Would it be better if you didn't have to dedicate your box to Linux, but
just ran it every so often when you weren't playing with Codewright?  If you
had some store-and-forward mail system (like UUCP or Fido), you wouldn't
need to say goodbye to DOS/Windows.

I envision a setup right now where you could (if you wanted) type "remailer"
at the DOS prompt to bring the remailer up.  The screen would show a
monitor-type program, with a menu option to "R)eboot" to DOS again (or you
could just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del).

Oh, and I'd probably package a much nicer editor than vi with it.  Believe
it or not, the state of Unix editors has progressed beyond vi (and even
emacs).  But that's assuming you'd need to pull up an editor at all...