internet mag

anonymous-remailer at shell.portal.com anonymous-remailer at shell.portal.com
Thu Jan 19 08:20:17 PST 1995

This month's issue of Internet World Magazine deals primarily with internet security. I'm am not going to review everything in the mag but I'll list the table of content:

Better Safe:
Danger lurks on the Info Highway. You must take precaution to reduce your riks.
By Dave Taylor and Rosalind Resnick

Getting Cryptic:
Phil Zimmermann's PGP gives you powerful encryption to keep your messages safe from prying eyes. Read all about it.
By William Stalling.
(Introductory article about PGP. Nothing we, here, don't already know)

Securing the Enterprise:
Connectiong your corporation to the Internet can be a security nightmare.
Firewalls are the main line of defense.
By Alton Hoover
(An overview of Firewalls, application-layer gateways and token-based authentication schemes)

Beyond the Firewall:
The latest  firewall technology not only detects intruders, but strikes back.
By Winn Schwartau
(Very interesting article. Here are some quotes to wet your appetite:
Wouldn't it be nice if a computer system attacked from the Internet responded to the attack by striking back at the intruder? This is exactly what Sidewinder's implementation of type enforcement does.....It will detect the intrusion immediately....As soon as a violation occurs, a silent alarm is activated....sidewinder can be configured to react in any number of ways, once an attack has been detected...it can shut the intruder cold...(or)...it can invoke a mechanism that would record all the information from whence came the attack....By luring the attacker into a false sense of security, the hacker would continue trying to break in, unaware that every step was being recorded...

Cashing In:
As Internet commerce expands, a host of companies are vying to establish their system as the basis for cyberbanking and credit-card transactions.
By Lisa Morgan

Business Browser:
New versions of Mosaic with built-in encryption promise to keep your transactions safe.
By Richard W. Wiggins

Unlawful Entry
Crackers can feasts on your data if you fail to plug your leaky Unix system
By Aaron Weiss
(Five Ways to crack a Unix System)

It's Alive:
Although the furor has subsided, reports of Clipper's death are greatly exaggerated. The government's controversial eavesdropping effort lives on.
By Steven Vaughan-Nichols

Building Trust
The chief executives of Trusted Information Systems -Steve Crocker and Steve Walker- talk about encryption, CyberCash, Clipper, and more.
By Jeff Ubois.

All in all a rather interesting mag. Check it out.

wizard at alpha.c2.org
Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely
according to conscience, above all liberties.