(none)

Perry E. Metzger perry at imsi.com
Wed Jan 18 11:34:29 PST 1995

"James A. Donald" says:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 1995, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > Be that as it may, people HAVE been kicked off for mischief like
> > forging routing packets -- and if someone started hosing me down with
> > any one of several really nasty packet based attacks I'm familiar with
> > I would expect action to be taken against them.
>
> Unix is broken.  Windows and DOS are fragile and under construction.

This has nothing to do with Unix, Mr. Donald. This has to do with the
nature of internet protocols.

> Servers should have built in limits, that cause them to spit back
> packets from unknown clients that are unreasonable or strain the
> system.

Can't be done. Sorry. There are certain flaws in the design of the
internet protocols down on the transport layer that I'd rather not get
into because they don't seem to be widely known and I'm not interested
in making them better known.

> For example an SMTP server should have a default limit on volume
> per address and per client, with the user being able to vary
> such limits for particular clients or addresses -- trusted or
> hostile clients.

Sendmail already has such limits. Unfortunately they ultimately do no
good. I'd try explaining, but the details get too technical -- if
people insist I'll get into it. The gist is, however, that in the
current network its too easy to fake connections. Even with per client
limits I could still make your machine die a horrible death.

> At present most unix utilities have arbitrary fixed length internal
> buffers for processing variable length fields.  If you overflow
> the buffer by sending pathological data you will crash the system.

Not usually, actually. The "utilities" have nothing to do with the
kernel, and the kernel is what can crash the machine.

> If you know machine code, and you overflow the buffer with
> carefully chosen data then instead of a random crash you can
> get the server to do some particular unexpected thing -- for
> example the internet worm caused the server to execute a
> file that the mail server had just received.

Those sorts of security problems are not only well known but largely
gone. The last one, in sendmail's debug flag, could only hurt a
machine by action of a user on the machine itself, not over the
network. The sorts of things I'm talking about are *inherent* in the
design of TCP and cannot be altered at this point.

> > I doubt it. It really hasn't proved to be an actual problem thus
> > far. If anything, the limiting factor on scalability is the fact that
> > the net has no locality of reference, which is making routing design
> > harder and harder. Routing is currently THE big unsolved problem on
> > the net -- something outsiders to the IETF rarely suspect, because the
> > engineers have been faking it so well for so long. Unfortunately, all
> > the good solutions to the routing problem are mathematically
> > intractable -- and the practical ones are leading to bad potential
> > long term problems..
>
> This is inaccurate.  Optimal solutions to the routing problem are
> mathematically intractable.  Tolerable solutions are mathematically
> tractable.

Name one, Mr. Donald. Name a single one.

> For realistic routing problems, tractable approximations
> are only worse than an optimal solution by a modest factor.

Sorry, but you just don't know what you are talking about here,
period. We don't know how to solve the routing problem in the general
case. Thats one of the reasons for all the arguments in the IETF
concerning the problems we are getting ourselves into with route
agregation.

(Just so you are clear here, Mr. Donald, the routing problem is NOT
the problem of finding an optimal path between all pairs of nodes on a
network in polynomial time -- thats solved and absolutely useless.)

> Of course I am sure Perry is correct when he says that
> the tractable approximations that we are currently using
> fail to scale, but this is not a fundamental unsolved
> problem in mathematics -- it is merely yet another bug.

Nope, not a bug. There are problems that we don't know how to
solve.

The problem is routing agregation, you understand, and the fact that
agregated clouds don't really experience locality of reference. This
means that we end up with nasty and totally artificial network choke
points as the networks scale. If we transmit full information,
however, we no longer get agregation and can no longer store the
tables because they are too big.

Perry