EE Times on PRZ

strick -- henry strickland strick at versant.com
Wed Jan 18 10:47:11 PST 1995

THUS SPAKE jalicqui at prairienet.org (Jeff Licquia):
# Hal wrote:
# >large prime-number factoring.  Contrary to popular belief, the NSA can
# >decrypt public keys of most practical key sizes."  I wonder what this
# >means?

Just as healthy paranoia, that's worth persuing.
But I bet the author didn't know what they was talking about.

# Another quote from the article posted elsewhere said that, "PGP, which is
# based on the Diffie-Hellman public-key technology developed in the 1970s..."
# This is technically true, since all public-key work (including RSA) is based
# to some extent on DH.  It could be, however, that the author is confusing

DH uses "discrete log" as the hard problem, and very straightforward
mathematics.

RSA uses "factoring" as the hard problem, and a very clever back door.

How do you decide if one is based on the other?

# public-key technology with Diffie-Hellman public-key in particular, which
# (as I understand it) is not particularly secure.

It's still up in the air, isn't it, whether the discrete log or
factoring is the harder to crack.   My intuition is they're the
same hard.

I know of no problem with DH that RSA doesn't have similar problems.

			strick