(none)

Brian Beattie beattie at CSOS.ORST.EDU
Tue Jan 17 12:28:42 PST 1995

On Tue, 17 Jan 1995, Mats Bergstrom wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 1995, Name withheld on request wrote:
>
> > wonders to what end remailers are being put by people who are worried
> > about being "sold out".
>
> The fundamental principle here is that an e-mail message is just so
> many bits of 1's and 0's. It can never, in it's own capacity, steal,
I disagree, one can use e-mail to steal.  E-mail consumes resources,
resources for which the sender may have no right to use.  If the sender
is sending messages which the recipient does not wish to receive then
his resources are being taken.  If the recipient has now way of stopping
the messages then the recipients resources are being taken against the
recipient's will and the recipient should be able to have the messages
stopped before they consume the recipients resources.

Brian Beattie         | [From an MIT job ad] "Applicants must also have
                      | extensive knowledge of UNIX, although they should
beattie at csos.orst.edu | have sufficently good programming taste to not
Fax (503)754-3406     | consider this an achievement."