State of PGP dll?; Encrypted session projects

Pat Farrell pfarrell at netcom.com
Sat Jan 14 10:29:55 PST 1995

  sdw at lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)  writes:

> What is the state of the Windows/.dll PGP libraries?
> Does anyone have a usable version yet?

I helped David get a compiled version of a .DLL, but it was way too
raw to use. Specifically, all we did was make a DLL of all of the code,
exporting all of the subroutines. A usefull .DLL would only publish
the "important" ones, and leave the internals hidden. The selection
of which routines need to be classified as "important" is a bunch of
work. Additionally, I expect that some of the routines would really be
better off with a wrapper that made less of their internals visible.
All quite doable, but a non-trivial effort. I know I'm too busy to
attack it.

> For Windows: twnsck12.zip, which is simple, is GNU, and has source and
> by writing a relatively simple windows serial terminal emulator and
> using Comt ($15 or 25 shareware) to convert it to a telnet client.
> Both of these could be modified fairly easily.

There are sources to a simple terminal emulator in the MSVC samples
directory. Changing it to use sockets wouldn't be all that hard.
Last time I looked, comt didn't work under NT, and so I stopped looking
at it.

There are also terminal emulators in the code in at least two books,
Monk's Windows Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications,
and Nelson's Serial Communications, a C++ developers's Guide.
Since I'd much rather write C++ than C, I prefer Nelson's.

I use ewan as a terminal emulator, got it from cica or wustl, I forget
which. Dunno if sources are availavle.

> Does anyone have better ideas?  Any suggestions on login/key
> exchange sequence?

SKey would work if you are talking to a unix box that you can get
the admin to change.

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell at cs.gmu.edu
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>