How do I know if its encrypted?

Paul J. Ste. Marie pstemari at erinet.com
Thu Jan 12 17:46:19 PST 1995

At 10:08 PM 1/11/95 -0800, Eric Hughes wrote:
> ... Seems to me that a quite reasonable condition of use of a remailer is
>that what is passed isn't human readable.

Perhaps I missed this, but why?  If someone is going to plant kiddie porn or
whatever on you, does it really matter if they encrypt it first or not?

If the purpose is simply to generate additional encrypted traffic to obscure
stuff that needs encryption, that goal might be better served by simply
encrypting files for their recipient as they pass through, in those cases
where a public key is available and the msg isn't already encrypted.

I forget the name of the cypher (Vigere, perhaps--the one that uses a series
of Caesar-like cyphers keyed by a password), but you could just run it
through that with a password of abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz and you'd flatten
out the distribution enough to get it by casual inspection.

    --Paul J. Ste. Marie
      pstemari at well.sf.ca.us, pstemari at erinet.com