Reefer madness

Frederic Halper fhalper at pilot.njin.net
Thu Jan 12 12:20:02 PST 1995

mark at unicorn.com wrote:

But what happens if, say, a minor is solicited for sex when they are
pretending to be older than they are ? Or if the solicitation comes via a
remailer ?  Or a minor with a grudge fakes email to show that someone
attempted to get them to agree to sex/picture-taking or whatever ?

Once you pass laws making some forms of communication illegal, you're
immediately getting into dodgy territory requiring is-a-person
credentials and so on. That isn't neccesarily a problem if it's voluntary
(e.g. your kids accounts might be set up to only accept mail from people
who're certified to be under 18 or whatever), but governments are
unlikely to do things that way.

Any person no matter their age should be wary if someone solicits them for sex.
I'm 16 years old and have been on the Internet for a little more than a year and
I haven't nor have I met anyone who has been approached by a pedophile.  The
examples used are isolated incidents, which could have likely been prevented had
they discussed it with their parents or tried to obtain more info about the
person they were going to meet.
-RH

Reuben Halper                          I'm not growing up, I'm just burnin' out."
Montclair High                                          - Green Day -
Montclair, NJ
E-mail: fhalper at pilot.njin.net                    PGP 2.6ui Public Key
                                                  available upon request