Reefer madness

Mark Grant mark at unicorn.com
Thu Jan 12 10:52:56 PST 1995

On Thu, 12 Jan 1995, Russell Nelson wrote:

> I really *don't* think that New York State plans to
> ban encryption, not now and not over this issue anyway.  His thrust is
> 1) to have the legal authority to sufficiently punish someone who goes
> after children (which they don't have now), and 2) to educate guardians
> about the risks of untoward communications from adults to children.

But what happens if, say, a minor is solicited for sex when they are
pretending to be older than they are ? Or if the solicitation comes via a
remailer ?  Or a minor with a grudge fakes email to show that someone
attempted to get them to agree to sex/picture-taking or whatever ?

Once you pass laws making some forms of communication illegal, you're
immediately getting into dodgy territory requiring is-a-person
credentials and so on. That isn't neccesarily a problem if it's voluntary
(e.g. your kids accounts might be set up to only accept mail from people
who're certified to be under 18 or whatever), but governments are
unlikely to do things that way.

		Mark