Reefer madness

Jonathan Rochkind jrochkin at cs.oberlin.edu
Thu Jan 12 10:05:56 PST 1995

At 9:35 AM 01/12/95, Russell Nelson wrote:
>misdemeanor.  I spoke to Bob Penna, the legislative aide who
>researched and wrote up the bill for Bill Sears.  He realizes that the
>Internet cannot reasonably be censored, and that the solution is to be
>able to punish people who do it (hence the felony) and to educate

I dont' find that particularly reassuring. "being able to punish people who
do it," is ultimately going to have to consist of preventing non-GAK
encryption, in the minds of the Gubmint.  You can't punish them if you
can't catch them, and you can't catch them if they use strong encryption.

Well, in reality you still can catch them,  after all no one can sexually
assault anyone over the internet (yet, anyway).  Sometime they've got to do
something in person, and there's no encryption in a physical meeting, where
everyone sees your TrueFace.  But I'm not sure how much I trust the gubmint
types to take this all into account, instead of just abolishing crypto on
the typical four horsemen platform.