Knowing Something's Encrypted

Jeff A Licquia jalicqui at prairienet.org
Thu Jan 12 07:16:58 PST 1995

Maybe I'm missing something here.  If I am, please bonk me.

Here's a simple method for knowing that some data you received is encrypted:

1.  Require a specific method (we'll use PGP in this example).

2.  When a message comes in, check for a PGP format message.  If you
really wanted to get fancy, you could parse the PGP header a bit to make
sure the data was really encrypted.

It's true that this isn't "cryptographic" in the sense of testing the
ciphertext itself, but it should work for the practical goal of enforcing
a "must be encrypted" rule.

Jeff Licquia (lame .sig, huh?)   |   Finger for PGP 2.6 public key
jalicqui at prairienet.org          |   Me?  Speak for whom?  You've got
licquia at cei.com (work)           |     to be kidding!