Data Havens..A consumer perspective

Censored Girls Anonymous carolb at barton.spring.com
Thu Jan 12 00:32:22 PST 1995

1. You have what I want or need.
2. In order for me to let you store it, I will give it to you
   anyway you wish to get it.
3. I will let you do anything to the data you wish, so long as I
   get it back intact.
4. It is no concern (only idle curiosity maybe) where the data is parked.
5. I would expect to pay money for the safekeeping of my data.
6. I would expect the longer you hold the data, the more it will cost.
7. The only thing I am counting on is the data's timely retrieval.
8. Welcome to the world of data "coatchecking".

Why make it more complex than this?
>From the moment the data leaves their hands, until I return it,
they have no right, nor I no obligation, to divulge anything about it.
For they already would know, it would take a few minutes to retrieve it.

For whether it's encrypted to the nth degree, or parked in a plain brown
wrapper in a massive unix box somewhere, as long as I the haven manager,
return the data in a safe, timely, uncorrupted manner, I've done my duty.

Love Always,

Carol Anne

Registered<BETSI>BEllcore Trusted Software Integrity system programmer
Carol Anne Braddock   "Give me your Tired, your Poor, your old PC's..."
The TS NET                                  REVOKED PGP KEY NO.0C91594D
carolb at spring.com                                       carolann at mm.com
COMING SOON TO AN INTERNET NEWSGROUP NEAR YOU...............CENSORED.COM