Storm Signals

Dave Horsfall dave at esi.COM.AU
Wed Jan 11 16:01:22 PST 1995

On Wed, 11 Jan 1995, Paul Robichaux wrote:

> If I were the DOD, I would set the standard GPS default to selective
> availability. After all, with SA on military receivers can still get
> fine positioning data. If someone could come up with a good reason to
> turn SA off, great, but I wouldn't leave it on otherwise.

This gets discussed to death over on the sci.geo.satellite-nav group.
The consensus is that you don't want to advertise your intentions, but
political considerations have always overridden practicalities.

> The scenarios concerning GPS-piloted Cessnas full of nasty stuff come
> to mind, especially vis-a-vis the North Koreans. They probably don't
> have accurate IRBMs but they certainly could cobble together a
> Learjet-based delivery system.

This too gets discussed to death over on the sci.geo.satellite-nav group.
The consensus is that a car-bomb is cheaper and more reliable, and needs
nothing more than a street-directory for navigation.

--
Dave Horsfall (VK2KFU) | dave at esi.com.au | VK2KFU @ VK2AAB.NSW.AUS.OC | PGP 2.6
Opinions expressed are mine. | E7 FE 97 88 E5 02 3C AE  9C 8C 54 5B 9A D4 A0 CD