Response to CBS News "drive-by" attack on the internet

Brad Dolan bdolan at well.sf.ca.us
Tue Jan 10 06:42:27 PST 1995

January 10, 1995

Eric Ober
President, CBS News
524 W. 57th Street
New York, NY 10019

Dear Mr. Ober:

In its 1/9/95 evening news broadcast, CBS aired a segment presenting
a number of people who argued that the content of school libraries,
written communications, and electronic communications should be censored
for the common good.  Since CBS did not present anyone with an opposing
point of view, I assume the position presented is believed by CBS to be
correct and not controversial.

At first I was concerned about your network's apparent lack of support of
first amendment rights to freedom of speech and of the press. Then I
realized that these freedoms are only to discuss topics which could not
result in physical or moral harm to anyone.

I have some friends who share your concerns.  They have been trying
for years to reduce availability of morally dangerous materials like
_The_Catcher_In_The_Rye_ and _Heather_Has_Two_Mommies_.  They will
be so excited to hear that you are now on their side.

Sincerely,

Brad Dolan
bdolan at well.sf.ca.us