Data Haven problems

Avi Harris Baumstein avi at clas.ufl.edu
Tue Jan 10 06:18:11 PST 1995

dfloyd at io.com writes:

>My problem is not that people will bitch about my DH.  My problem will
>be arfholes or yellow journalists uploading K*dd*e p**n to my DH, then
>making a long report how I cater to p*dofiles and other evil denezins
>that pop from time to time.  Then, I get the police knocking at my
>door, asking me to come to Club Fed for a looooonnnggg vacation.

well i remember a suggestion a while back to only accept encrypted
files. i don't remember who made the suggestion, but this seems like a
good idea for several reasons:

1) most journalists won't know how to encrypt their files (ok, this is
an admittedly short-term advantage, as journalists get smarter)

2) you will have no idea *what* is stored, and absolutely no way of
finding out, even if you wanted to. you should advertise this feature
widely.

3) it will help promote the use of crypto, as those who want to use
the DH will have to have a way to encrypt their files.

and charging, even an extremely minimal fee, will help to reduce
wanton usage. but then you get into the whole electronic payment
infrastructure problem again...

-avi