Data Haven problems

Nesta Stubbs nesta at nesta.pr.mcs.net
Mon Jan 9 07:37:40 PST 1995

On Mon, 9 Jan 1995, Mats Bergstrom wrote:

> Hardly. (*.gi0 and *.jp0 for a start?)
> But what are data havens for, if not for controversial data?
> One of the greatest needs, if not _the_ greatest, in our times
> for a data haven is probably for storing porno. There is a
> tremendous, world-wide demand for porno. Yet, there are numerous
> countries where sex.gif's found on your disk (encrypted or not,
> they can use thumb-screws to force the key out of your hands)
> will put you in a very difficult situation (loss of social
> status, jail, decapitation). It might be much more convenient
> for, let's say, a Saudi teenager to store his encrypted private
> gif's in a data haven in Sweden, download them when he feels
> the urge and purge the copies after every use.

My feelings exactly.

Are we going to fall prey to the medias asault on porno and resort to
self-censorship?  If a data haven resorted to filtering out all gifs and
jpegs, or even porno, then it wouldn't be one I wouldn't use it, for my
porn, nor for my other data.  If it is going to be a datahaven it can;t
fall to such things as filtering data for controversial subject the owner
doesn't like.

i want to know everything          http://www.mcs.com/~nesta/home.html
i want to be everywhere                     Nesta's Home Page
i want to fuck everyone in the world               &
i want to do something that matters         /-/ a s t e zine