TEMPEST Questions...

John A. Thomas jathomas at netcom.com
Sat Jan 7 08:44:51 PST 1995

On 6 Jan 1995, Derek Zeanah wrote:

> I'm writing an article on TEMPEST technology.
>
> The focus is on what TEMPEST is and how to defeat it, if possible.  So far
> I've gotten some insightful information, but I'm looking for all I can get.
>
> Has anyone ever heard of TEMPEST being used in the continental US?  Can anyone
> tell me what measures offer some level of protection, or steps that can be
> taken to reduce the likelihood of being successfully targeted?  Has anyone
> ever seen TEMPEST in action?

You might start with van Eck, Wim, "Electromagnetic Radiation from Video
Display Units:  An Eavesdropping Risk?", Computers & Security 4 (1985)
269-286.  That will give you the technical basics.

If someone has actually seen Tempest interception in action, I'd like to
hear about that as well.

John A. Thomas		jathomas at netcom.com
N5RZP			214/263-4351