San Francisco Editorial

Jonathan Cooper entropy at IntNet.net
Wed Jan 4 16:21:19 PST 1995

> A letter to the editor is like spitting into the wind in this case.   I
> think what's needed is a more constructive affirmative action, ideally
> taking Cantor and Siegel to court somewhere.

   Perhaps it's my libertarian outlook, perhaps not, but I tend to abhor
using the US government's ``legal'' system for almost any reason.

   The worst thing about doing this (suing them), IMHO, is that if you
lost you would create a precedent for all the people who aren't doing it
because they might consider it illegal or immoral -- far too many people
consider things that the court okays to be morally okay.

   Instead, I think it's a great stimulus for better software - there's
no reason to sue them when it'd be a better thing for the community if
newsreaders and mailreaders were enhanced to deal with spams.

-jon

( --------[ Jonathan D. Cooper ]--------[ entropy at intnet.net ]-------- )
( PGP 2.6.2 keyprint: 31 50 8F 82 B9 79 ED C4  5B 12 A0 35 E0 9B C0 01 )
( home page: http://taz.hyperreal.com/~entropy/ ]---[ Key-ID: 4082CCB5 )