CDT POLICY POST No.2 -- X9 TO DEVELOP TRIPLE-DES STANDARDS

Greg Morgan mac5tgm at hibbs.vcu.edu
Mon Feb 13 18:07:49 PST 1995

Mike McNally originally said the following...

> gnu at toad.com writes:
>  > In their November letter to X9 committee members, the NSA
>  > attempted to undermine the attractiveness of triple-DES by
>  > arguing that it is cryptographically unsound, a potential
>  > threat to national security, and would not be exportable
>  > under US law.
>
> One is forced to wonder at the sort of person that can with a straight
> face argue that on the one hand an algorithm is cryptographically
> unsound, while at the same time posing a threat to national security.
Just playing Devil's Advocate, but maybe he's saying that it's
so faulty that trusting banking communications to it would be a
threat to national security...  You know, it's so faulty it's
dangerous.. Kinda like Dan Qyale for president. *8)

Greg Morgan <mac5tgm at hibbs.vcu.edu>    | "I dunno Brain, me and Pipi
Mail me for PGP Key: 0xE0D222A9        |  Longstocking?  I mean what would
Key Fingerprint : 2430 BAA4 1EE4 AA2F  |  the children look like?" - Pinki
                  3B76 3516 3DEF 5529  |