What *is* the power of the FIPS

Jim Gillogly jim at acm.org
Mon Feb 13 17:18:00 PST 1995

> Peter F Cassidy <pcassidy at world.std.com> writes:
>...                          I animated the characters and campaign
> strategies in this narrative common to the clipper and DT initiatives. In
> that, taking about Clipper I mentioned its rise as a FIPS, etc.
> -        QUESTION: Just what is the power of the FIPS outside of the
> interop issues in sending stuff back and forth from federal agencies?

Seems to me a FIPS is an important standard to the extent that it contains
important and useful information.  The DES FIPS 46-2 and 81 do, and
they've been widely influential.  The EES (Clipper) FIPS 185 doesn't --
it's mostly terminology to support GACK (Government Access to Crypto Keys)
-- and has been largely ignored outside of said federal agencies, so far
as I know.

	Jim Gillogly
	Mersday, 24 Solmath S.R. 1995, 01:16