bill alert...

Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl rrothenb at ic.sunysb.edu
Mon Feb 13 10:14:21 PST 1995

> Do you think this will force folks into using encryption?
> If I was a sysop, I sure would have all my users using
> encryption... :)

Which bill do you mean (aside from the one in the whitehouse)?

Why force users to do anything. There are other measures, such as running
the system on a secure file/device/drive system.  Well, that would only
help prevent anyone who yeggs your physical system from looking at it--
could even put you in more legal doo-doo that if the users encrypted it.

Getting users to encrypt their mail is pointless as a defense against
this bill, since the authorities' usual way of 'busting' systems is to
call in, become just another user and download (or get a minor to download)
'evil' files or messages.

Rob