Involve Telcos in activism?

rishab at dxm.ernet.in rishab at dxm.ernet.in
Sun Feb 12 13:23:03 PST 1995

storm at marlin.ssnet.com (Don Melvin):
>        Telecoms have bucks.
>        Telecoms have lawyers.
>        Telecoms are the 'transmission' agents for pretty much all of
>                the internet. Even high speed dedicated T1s are usually
>                from a telecom or two.

That's a laugh! Yes, it would be a good idea to involve telcos in our cause,
but it was my impression that most cypherpunks expressed derision for the EFF
for 'compromising' (i.e. being realistic). Telcos do not necessarily share the
interests of cypherpunks; they want to make money, that's all. They'd love to
compromise, and provide funding for CDT, Jerry Berman's new lobbying outfit.
A good example of their attitude is what they do in India, or China. Here none
of them are too keen to say anything against some of our ancient and idiotic
laws, and they're all happy to budget for huge and unjustified 'licence fees'
because they want to lick state ass. They want to grab these huge markets
before it's too late, free speech be damned.