why pgp sucks

James A. Donald jamesd at netcom.com
Fri Feb 10 18:08:13 PST 1995

On Fri, 10 Feb 1995, Derek Atkins wrote:
> The point is to have a centralized, distributed key distribution
> mechanism, similar in concept to the PGP Public Keyservers, but which
> scale much much better.i

We already have a centralized, for profit, key distribution system.

http://ww.four11.com/InfoServices.html

If they make money off it, there will be more of them, they
will provide better service, and it will in due course
become a distributed key distribution system.

Digression:

I notice that it is possible to have thread titled
"Why PGP sucks" without Holy Warriors leaping into
the fray.

This is a marked contrast with certain other topics.

Possibly the level of heat is inversely proportional
to the level of knowledge.  (I.e. it is safe to have
such a thread title because in this list we have
many people with considerable knowledge of several
different crypto systems, and who have spent
considerable thought on the various possibilities.)

We have the right to defend ourselves     |   http://www.catalog.com/jamesd/
and our property, because of the kind     |
of animals that we are. True law          |   James A. Donald
derives from this right, not from the     |
arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.  |   jamesd at netcom.com