Bernstein

rishab at dxm.ernet.in rishab at dxm.ernet.in
Fri Feb 10 13:44:31 PST 1995

Peter F Cassidy <pcassidy at world.std.com>:
> -       I am a writer on assignment from the Economist writing about a
> certain cryptographers' tussle with the State Department, a fellow who is
> known around the beltway crypto-anarchy, privacy,
> niceness-on-the-Internet advocacy crowds as Bernstein. I have the outline

There are two of them in my archives: "D. J. Bernstein"
(djb at silverton.berkeley.edu) at Berkeley who visited the list once; and E.
Bernstein, the author of papers on quantum complexity along with U Vazirani.

I've never heard of either of them tussling with the State Department. Apart
from the name, though, several cryptographer/cypherpunks could fit the bill,
from Phil Zimmerman of course to various people who've tried to extract ITAR
clearance or FOIA requests.