a new way to do anonymity

Eric Hughes eric at remailer.net
Wed Feb 8 06:20:39 PST 1995

   From: Johnathan Corgan <jcorgan at aeinet.com>

   One of the lessons learned in the years-long debate between the
   telco folks pushing synchronous time-division multiplexing point to
   point circuit switches and the data folks pushing variable length
   packet-switched broadcast medium networks is that fixed length
   packets can give you both TDM and statistical multiplexing.

There's an important difference here.  Namely, the telco/ATM folks
were building hardware from scratch and we're not.  We're layering on
top of an existing Internet routing environment.

This doesn't mean that your point is wrong, but that it may no longer
be true when the base layer is IP.  I'm not familiar enough with the
ATM arguments to know whether they're still valid in this other
domain.

Eric