MIME based remailing commands

Hal hfinney at shell.portal.com
Tue Feb 7 08:37:19 PST 1995

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry at imsi.com>

>     I'd say that it would work far better if things were changed to MIME
>     formats. You would send a message by recursively encapsulating your
>     message to be remailed inside a MIME message. Simple and clean...

Here is an example of how such a mesage might look.  I created it using
the safe-tcl scripting language.  Interestingly, safe-tcl can to a
considerable extent be considered a tcl extension to let you work easily
with mime messages.  It makes it easy to create and parse them.

The whole message could be encrypted and marked with the "Encrypted: PGP"
header as we do now, or when the new PGP/MIME standard is finalized then
that could be followed.

I made up two new content types for this, one to hold the composite
multipart message, and one to hold the remailer commands themselves.
Although these types are not implemented, I think it would be very easy
to make a remailer that would use this structure, built out of safe-tcl.
(The batching and latency would not be trivial, but the basic remailing
would be easy.)

Hal