Fred Cohen, PhD

Christopher J. Shaulis cjs at netcom.com
Sun Dec 31 12:55:25 PST 1995

> > Regarding Fred Cohen, PhD:
> >
> > Cohen's haughty and bombastic style do nothing good for his reputation.  I
> > assume he advertises his PhD to highlight his early accomplishments; he has
> > done little since.
>
> Apparently you have a reading disability.  I haven't used Ph.D. next to my
> name on this forum for some time.

	.oO( some time = ~3 weeks )

> > Let's also consider the granting institution, a second-rank school.
>
> When you insult me, that's one thing, but insulting my school is
> something quite different.  The University of Southern California is one
> of the finest educational institutions in the world, and is widely
> recognized as such.

	.oO( So is Alabama State, even says so in the catalog )

>  The engineering school at USC (from which I earned
> my Ph.D.) is commonly ranked in the top 10 in the US, and in the year
> that I graduated, my department was ranked in the top 5 in the US.
>
> USC, in addition to having a fine athletic tradition, also has many
> unique benefits that sets it apart from many other excellent schools.
> But I wouldn't want to advertise in this forum - you'll have to contact
> them directly for more extensive information.

	.oO( I see you still have their catalog )

> > Cohen's thesis broke new ground, but how many people have read it, or any of
> > his writings, or know anything about his ideas beyond a single word?  How far
> > did he carry this work?  Where are the conference and journal papers?  Cohen's
> > reputation faded into obscurity long ago.  Now he is building a new reputation
> > as a pig-headed loudmouth, threatening his "defamers."  Shades of Sternlight.
>
> Some people are ignorant because they haven't had a chance to learn, but
> other people are ignorant because they choose to be.  In your case, it is

	.oO( Some people just don't have two clues to rub together )

> apparently the latter.  But I will answer your questions nonetheless:
>
> How many people have read it, or any of his writings, or know anything
> about his ideas beyond a single word?
>
> 	The thesis has only sold a few hundred copies, however, over
> 	20,000 people have read my books on the subject.  My two
> 	articles in "The Sciences" reached about 25,000 people each.

	   ( I once told an OJ Simpson joke on Usenet )
	   ( that was supposedly seen by 40 million people )
	.OO( including a dozen messaiahs, three space men, )
           ( and a hermathadite. )

> 	But I don't think thatr the value of peoples' work is a
> 	function of how many people know about them.
>
> How far did he carry this work?
>
> 	I have published over 30 refereed journal articles on the subject,
> 	about 50 conference papers, about 100 invited talks, and today,
> 	over 1/2 of all computers in the world run virus defense software
> 	using techniques I first published.  That's more refereed papers
> 	than anyone else in the world on that particular subject.

	   ( Also gives Jerry Pournell something to talk about besides )
	.oO( Wing Commander, hope you add that to your resume )

> Where are the conference and journal papers?
>
> 	They are listed on the Web site listed below.  They include
> 	IEEE, ACM, and IFIP papers, invited papers at IEEE, ACM,
> 	DPMA, IFIP, and NIST conferences (as well as many others).

	   ( What? No WiReD magazine? How did he escape the crackpot )
	.oO( visionary center of the universe? )

> So, now that we have a very brief history of my work, let us all know
> where you went to school, how many journal and conference papers you
> have published, how many books you have written.
>
> We already know that you won't tell people your name because you are
> afraid to have it associated with you personally, but maybe you can help

	   ( Dr. Fred hides behind a post office box to people can't )
	.oO( drop by and tell him hes a loon )

> us all understand how expert you are and what you have contributed to
> the world so we can appreciate your point of view.

	.oO( I ain't no Ph.D, but even I can see Fred is a loon )

> -> See: Info-Sec Heaven at URL http://all.net/

	   ( Someone told him he was missing the /, was fun while it lasted )
	.oO( Wonder if he will write a paper on URL grammar now )