(NOISE) Re: PLA_gue Germ Terrorism

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Sun Dec 31 00:20:49 PST 1995

> Think that's fun? How 'bout this: given that the initial "mapping"
> phase of the human genome project is nearly complete, and the huge
> amount of genetic information available on the net, PLUS ever-
> more-powerful-yet-less-costly computers anyone can purchase, just
> how long do y'all think it'll be before some nut whips up a bug
> that targets, say, people with negroid genetic characteristics?
> Or epicanthic folds? Or blonde hair?

Malarky.

> Seem kinda far-fetched? The November NUTS & VOLTS has a nifty
> six page article on garage genetic experimentation (how to convert
> that old aquarium into an incubator, culturing techniques, etc.).
> They even list souces for equipment AND GERMS. Yes folks, you can
> order your very own "E-Z Gene Splicer DNA Recombination and
> Transformation Kit" from the good folks at Images Company, POBox
> 140742, Staten Island NY 10314, (718) 698-8305, $49.95 each,
> not recommended for children under 6 (too many parents complaining
> about mutated family cats).

While it is quite possible to obtain equipment and supplies from any
reputable science supply center (I like Brodehead-Garrett & Cenco myself) it
is not cheap. The type of equipment that can be made out of aquaria and such
is very low-level and poses little threat *provided* isolation proceedures
are taken. The types of 'genetic' experiments that can be done at this level
are quite simple and generaly explore characteristics that are based on the
crossing models of Mendelson. Most of the threat of this type of experiments
are from simple infections since viruses are not easily raised with this
form of equipment.

One of my favorite 'technology rulers' is when the first strain of commen
yeast is released which produces THC or LSD. Both of these chemicals are
relatively simple to produce at a cellular level and Marijuana was
completely mapped just a couple of years ago. Yeast has been mapped for
several years and there is a whole technology of protocols based around
using it (or E. Coli) for laboratory experiments into secondary and tertiary
production systems in cells. The reason that I use Marijuana or LSD as a
test is that neither are the result of direct protein synthesis. They are
rather produced as a result of cellular metabolism of primary componants.
Both of these require garage level control and access to only the most basic
tools and sequencers. To do this successfuly will require somebody to take
the necessary genomes out of the choromosomes and then using a virus and
suitable cutting agents insert them in the yeast. I do not believe we will
see this in the near term using the micro-manipulater systems which do
direct injection of genetic material because of the cost and utility
requirements of such equipment.

> Quote from the article: "A word of caution is in order before we
> start. Although the materials in the kit are safe, it is important
> for you to follow simple procedures to keep the experiment controlled
> and nonthreatening." No shit. E-coli bacteria (what the kit uses)
> aren't pathogens, but still... I guess every budding young white
> supremist/right-wing religious nut/genocidal maniac has to start
> somewhere.

E. Coli can be quite toxic. The people who died last year because of the bad
burger at the Jack In The Box died from E. Coli. There are hundreds of
strains of Esherichi Coli and not all of them are benign.

There is also a long history of this type of experimentation, it is not new.
Scientific American put out a book in the late 50's and early 60's that had
a whole slew of 'Amateur Scientist' articles compiled and several of them
related to this technology.