last straw

jim bell jimbell at pacifier.com
Sat Dec 30 12:27:34 PST 1995

At 07:34 AM 12/30/95 -0800, you wrote:
>I've decided to cancel my CrampuNerve account and send the weasels a msg to
>telling them why. I encourage everyone here to do the same with your CI$
>account (if you still have one). These [insert colorful expletive here]s
>only understand one thing: cold ca$h. Thus, the only effective way to send
>them an indication of one's displeasure at their poor precedent-setting is
>to vote with one's wallet.
>
>Any who are still unfortunate enough to rely on CI$ for Internet/Usenet
>access are getting reamed price-wise anyway, not to mention suffering poor
>reliability and now access, so maybe a few of them could also take this
>opportunity to migrate to an ISP with some real "backbone."

I don't have a CSERVE account, and never have.  But yesterday, I called a
friend (who has such an account) I talk to every two weeks or so.  The
conversation went something like this:

"Hi Greg."
"Hi Jim."
"I suggest that you get rid of your Comp..."   (he cuts me off in
mid-sentence, anticipating the entire subject of the call)
"I'm doing that as we speak, Jim"
"...because they just..."  (I continued the thought, but he cut me off again)
"That's EXACTLY why I'm doing it, Jim."
(mutual laughter as we realize the irony of the situation.)

Somehow, I think Compuserve is going to get the message.