HRB Systems Data Storage Encryptor

Peter Trei trei at process.com
Fri Dec 29 15:23:11 PST 1995

James A. Donald wrote:
> At 09:45 AM 12/26/95 +0100, Anonymous wrote:
> >Check out http://www.hrb.com/encryption/ssp.html, your
> >exclusive source of the Ultron Crypto-Engine (tm)
>
> The web page proudly announces:
>   "is the only NSA-approved Type I data encryptor available today."
>
> There are probably some people ignorant enough to regard that as
> a recommendation.
>James A. Donald

     What's the problem? If you're a contractor or agency looking to store
classified data, the NSA approval is essential. There's no pretence in
the ad that the NSA can't read it. It says:

"NSA provides necessary keying material for SSP3110 operation."

and

"It is available to U.S. Government agencies, military organizations,
 and defense contractors."

This is not a snake oil product ala "Power One Time Pad" (sic). It's
a real system, approved for use with classified data. I strongly doubt
that there are any known holes (with the NSA supplying the key material,
why should there be?)

Speaking for myself,
	Peter Trei
	trei at process.com