another anonymous poster helping to destroy our rights

blancw at accessone.com blancw at accessone.com
Thu Dec 28 06:43:28 PST 1995

From: "Vladimir Z. Nuri"

you can't have it both ways. either anyone is free to decide what a
cypherpunk is, and no one has the right to argue with it. or, cypherpunks
are something in particular, and someone has the authority to  determine
that.

So are you saying that "SHTBD!!!!"?  :>)

As you note, it is an informal system which operates on the list.  As you also
note, an  "intelligent and mischievous adversary" can effectively create
problems.  But you failed to note that intelligent and technically savvy
members will find effective ways to deal with it.

That is what is important about an 'anarchic' list like this - that the
challenge of maintaining rational discourse is met by the application of active
intelligence, rather than all the rigmarole you mentioned.  And this is what
makes it interesting, I think.  Any person's ideas or concepts or contributions
can be tested or challenged by the more knowledgeable on the list, if they are
so moved (or not, if they are not so moved).

The organizing subject around which discussions revolve is crypto, within the
social context.  Because of this, the relationship to the main subject is
difficult to maintain.  (And isn't this list like a microcosm, at times, of the
larger social picture?)

It is the unexpurgated exchanges of thought & expression, which regulate the
list.
It reminds me of a book about life:   You Learn, or You Die. <g>

  ..
Blanc