Encryption Discrimination from Sun

Futplex futplex at pseudonym.com
Tue Dec 26 01:18:59 PST 1995

Mike Duvos writes (re: The Java Cup)
> While reading the contest rules, I found the following one
> particularly interesting...
>
>    "No entries may include encryption as a feature
>     or part of an applet."
[...]
> Doubtless the reason Sun nixed encryption is because this is an
> international contest, and they did not want to deal with legal
> hassles involving international borders and different laws in
> every country.

OTOH, they don't have any ITAR-like rules about not installing crypto hooks.

(It's pretty amusing that residents of Romania are eligible to enter, but
not residents of Vermont. At least to me, since I don't live in Vermont. ;)

> Nonetheless, they seem to have missed an excellent opportunity
> to encourage the migration of privacy software into the new
> realm they are creating.

I'm not convinced that such a contest is capable of that anyway. As in most
such contests, entries basically become the property of the sponsor. In this
case, "By participating in the Contest, Contestant waives all claim to
intellectual property rights in the entry, including patent rights and
copyright, and waives all moral rights, except where prohibited."  (Wow !
I didn't know I could waive my moral rights !)

I'm not inclined to hand the Java privacy software on which I'm working over
to Sun, even though I like Sun. If I were just working on a Tetris applet or
something, I wouldn't mind....

-Futplex <futplex at pseudonym.com>		Cowboys 37, Cardinals 13;
			Merry Christmas, 49ers: We'll see you in Dallas !