on web standards: sent to Markoff

blancw at accessone.com blancw at accessone.com
Wed Dec 20 23:57:34 PST 1995

Attila:

I'm surprised at you. I thought you were anarcho-capitalist. Oh, well; I have a
few pithy comments in reply to your post (but anything beyond this will be in
private email).

I'm tempted to say back to you, as you just recently stated: "if you have not
walked in the other's shoes, keep silent."  Have you read any of the books on
Microsoft or Bill Gates?  I think this would provide you with additional
perspective on your conclusions about him and the company.

But think about this:

.  no company which MS has done business with has been coerced into dealing
with the company and its products.  Those who felt compelled to do business on
Billg's terms were influenced by their desire to reap the lucrative benefits of
it.

.  no customer has been coerced into purchasing the products offered;  they
were not prevented from shopping for computers from companies which do not
pre-install the OS; if it was already installed on the machines they purchased,
they were free to delete it, they were not coerced into using it or into
upgrading to the next release.

.  not only have many software companies not take advantage of the
opportunities created for cashing in on the unexpected popularity of MS
software,
.  there have been occasions where competitors failed to see opportunities in
the market which Microsoft did and took aim for, or
.  attempted business deals/associations among competitor software companies
did not come about, thus failing to create a concerted competitive threat to
Microsoft, or
.  a dominant software product from a competitor suffered in the market place,
(sometimes from the fault of "bad management"), thus again giving the advantage
to Microsoft.

Often it has been what the competition *didn't do*, which gave Microsoft the
advantage in the "market place", rather than any amazing magical business savvy
or "unethical business practices".

Nevertheless, as someone at MS said, "it isn't the customers who are
complaining". There have been many willing participants, apparently, who have
cooperated (or "conspired", if you will) in making the company the success
which it has become.  And continue to do so.

  ..
Blanc

p.s.  Nuri-logical:  I like your idea for a "dog-eat-dog" welfare fund.