The Problem With Blaze And Weinstein

hallam at w3.org hallam at w3.org
Wed Dec 20 16:12:29 PST 1995

I think this conversation is getting silly even by net.standards.

On the one hand we have the screaming libertarians with a bunch of
wedged political notions about property. On the other we have what
appear to be arch anti-capitalists claiming that nobody who earns
a living out of crypto can be a cypherpunk. What is really strange
is that these appear to be the _same_ people.

Now I'm not one for supporting corporativism but consider this, most
if not all of the technical contributors to this list who can earn
money from their crypto knowledge do so. Matt and Jeff are not alone
in being paid for their abilities.

Another thing is that many of us are also into government contract
work up to their necks. The Web consortium is funded partly through
an ARPA grant. MIT is practically floating on government subsidies.
Yes this is where your tax dollars go, learn to love it or die
bitching.

The point is that the tourist element who gripe on about nothing other
than their political views and never contribute any technical input are
not the people that make the list work. People like Matt and Jeff are
the people who make the list worthwhile.

		Phill