Java and timing info - second attempt

Jim Miller jim at bilbo.suite.com
Mon Dec 18 20:02:48 PST 1995

I asked about using Java scripts to capture remote timing info before and
got no response.  I assume everyone thought it was a stupid question.
Therefore, I'll ask it again.

The thing that makes Java a big deal is that you execute other people's
code on your machine.  You browse a Java-enhanced Web page, click on
something interesting, suck across an applet, and execute it on your
machine.  This setup enables a bunch of nifty interactive Web stuff.

Turn the picture around:  You setup a Java-enhanced Web page, include some
interesting buttons to click, write some clever applet, and people around
the world suck your applet onto their machine and execute it.

Combine this with some a standard crypto API for doing Web-based digital
signatures or authentication or encryption and you may begin to see some
possibilities.

Would it be possible to create a Java applet that causes the client
machine to sign or encrypt something with their private key, and then send
back timing info?

For the answer to be YES a few things need to be true.  There needs to be
some sort of standard crypto API in use that can be accessed by a Java
script, and Java scripts need to be able to capture and send back timing
info.  Does anyone on this list know enough about Java to know if it can
do any of these things?

Jim_Miller at suite.com