Is ths legal?.. (fwd)

Jay Holovacs holovacs at styx.ios.com
Sun Dec 17 07:22:38 PST 1995

This is the reference I couldn't find for my previous post. It would seem
to have some relevance here

 Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (ECPA) (18 U.S.C. ss 2510
et seq.).  "It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for an operator of
a switchboard, or an officer, employee, or agent of a provider of wire *or
electronic* communication service, whose facilities are used in the trans-
mission of a wire communication, to intercept, disclose, or use that
communication in the normal course of his employment while engaged in any
activity which is a necessary incident to the rendition of his service or
to the protection of the rights or property of the provider of that
service, except that a provider of wire communication service to the
public shall not utilize service observing or random monitoring except for
mechanical or service quality control checks."  18 USC section
2510(2)(a)(i).

Doesn't seem to leave much room for snooping on contents of messages.

Jay Holovacs <holovacs at ios.com>
PGP Key fingerprint =  AC 29 C8 7A E4 2D 07 27  AE CA 99 4A F6 59 87 90
 (KEY id 1024/80E4AA05) email me for key