Netscape announces position against GAK

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Dec 13 00:42:23 PST 1995

At 11:06 PM 12/12/95 -0500, Black Unicorn wrote:
> I haven't seen 'good behavior' worth much notice yet.  Like I said, it
> takes about 10 minutes to come up with a written policy.  Netscape may
> have done more than that, but who's to say?
>
> I'll be impressed when I see a sustained record of activism on the issue.
> Till then they are slimy corporate types.  Which, IMHO, is fine so long
> as they don't claim to be anything else.

While I am unhappy about many aspects of their statement, notably
that they use the governments phrase "key escrow" all over the place,
the fact is they have placed news about what mischief the government
is up to, on a location that get a totally stupendous number of hits.

This will notify a stupendous number of people what the government
is up to.

It is less than they could have done, less than they should have done,
but it is still a very big something, and having done this, before
the entire internet and all their customers, it is at least somewhat
difficult for them to then turn around and shop their customers
to the state.

and our property, because of the kind	|
derives from this right, not from the	|
arbitrary power of the state.		|   jamesd at echeque.com