NT Password Security Update. Registry values changed!

Ted Cabeen cabeen at netcom.com
Tue Dec 12 22:13:22 PST 1995

Well, I did some more research into the NT password security issue and I
discovered that I can get access to the Security section of the registry and
there are some VERY interesting values there, stored as raw hex.  I created
a test user and checked the values of these registry keys with two different
passwords and iterestingly enough the data in the keys changed when I
changed the password.  I plan on doing some more work, including changing
the values and seeing if the password change, but I've been somewhat busy
lately.  I've st up a web page at

http://shadowland.rh.uchicago.edu/ntcrypto.html

that has the password I used and the data in the two registry values that
changed when I changed the password.  I invite people to look at it and
speculate what the change means.  Also, I can provide a few more
plaintext/cyphertext pairs if necessary.  The change in the values could be
something like update time, but I don't think that they'd store that as raw
hex, espically hex as long as the stuff I got.  Good luck figuring it out.
Ted Cabeen                                                  cabeen at netcom.com
Finger for PGP Public Key                        secabeen at midway.uchicago.edu
"I have taken all knowledge to be my province."            cococabeen at aol.com